Requires campus nomination and must be submitted through the Fellowships Office.
At least fifteen Churchill Scholarships, tenable for up to twelve months of study at Cambridge University, are awarded annually to pursue graduate work in Engineering (including Computer Science), Mathematics, and the Physical and Biological Sciences. The one-year awards lead to the Masters of Philosophy (MPhil) or the Master of Advanced Study (MASt). The University of Missouri may nominate two students for the Churchill Scholarship each year.
An applicant for the Churchill Scholarship must be a citizen of the United States, either native born or naturalized, and must be a senior who is enrolled in one of the institutions participating in the Scholarship Program or a student who has graduated from one of those institutions within the past 12 months. Upon taking up the Churchill Scholarship, a Churchill Scholar must hold a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent, and may not have attained a doctorate. Individuals selected for this award often have a GPA of 3.9 or higher.
The total value of the Churchill Scholarship is approximately $60,000. The award covers all tuition and fees and provides living, travel, and research allowances. Married students should consult with the Foundation about spousal allowance.
The Churchill Scholarship requires applicants to have an endorsement from the University of Missouri (MU). MU may only endorse two students for the Churchill Scholarship each year. For this reason, applying for the Churchill Scholarship involves the following steps, including an internal review process:
Prior to the Campus Deadline
- Make an appointment with a fellowships advisor by the end of spring semester the year you will apply for the scholarship.
- During this initial meeting, you will discuss the purpose of the Churchill Scholarship and its selection criteria. You will also share your interest in the award and your academic, research, and professional accomplishments to date. Your advisor will compare your credentials to the selection criteria, letting you know if you could be a competitive candidate. Your advisor may also inform you of other awards for which you should consider applying.
Campus Deadline: May 27, 2022
- Submit the Churchill Scholarship Campus Application by this deadline. A review committee will review your application, determining which two candidates will move forward as MU’s endorsed candidates.
National Deadline: Mid-October
- If you receive a campus endorsement, you will work closely with your fellowship advisor during the summer and fall to write and revise many drafts of your application materials and collect strong letters of recommendation prior to the national deadline.
- Between the campus and national deadline, you will also establish contact with a faculty member at Churchill College at the University of Cambridge. The Churchill application requires you to upload correspondence with or a letter of support from a Cambridge faculty member.
- You must also apply to the University of Cambridge by mid-October.
Selection Announcement: Late December
- You will learn in late December if you have been selected as a Churchill Scholar.