Committee Interviews are only available for first-time medical and dental applicants who are currently enrolled MU students or recent MU graduates. To be eligible for a Health Professions Committee Interview and Letter, students must:
- Be a first-time applicant to medical/dental school
- Be a current MU student or graduated no earlier than December 2020
- Have attended or made up the MDAP events
- Have a minimum 3.0 math/science GPA and a minimum overall 3.0 GPA
- Have taken the MCAT by June 18th or the DAT by July 2nd
- Score a minimum 500 on the MCAT or 18 on the DAT
- Submit the Committee Interview Application with supporting materials and payment by the deadline of April 30, 2022.*
*If for some reason you do not meet one of the eligibility requirements, you have the option to petition the committee for an interview. The Committee Interview Petition must be completed and sent to MedOpp Advising Program (firstname.lastname@example.org) by July 15, 2022. Petitions will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting May 1st, 2022.
To apply for a Committee Interview, follow the link below. Please be aware that you must finish the application in ONE SITTING and click “submit” in order for it to be complete. You can complete some of the required information in a Word document and copy and paste it into the application.
To facilitate the completion of your application, you will need the following information available:
- Applicant Information
- MCAT or DAT date(s) and/or scores*
- Health Professions CV/Resume
- Personal Statement
- List of Letter Writers and their email address**
- List of Schools to which you are applying***
- Biography Questionnaire:
- Why do you want to be a physician/dentist? (250 word limit)
- Tell us a little bit about journey in making this career decision. (250 word limit)
- Tell us about a specific experience you had that confirmed medicine/dentistry is the right career choice for you. (250 word limit)
- If you have been involved in research, please give an overview of your research project(s). (250 word limit)
- Tell us about yourself and what makes you unique. (250 word limit)
*MCAT or DAT Scores
- When registering for the MCAT, be sure to release scores to “pre-health advisor”.
- Dental school applicants must send a copy of their DAT test results to the MedOpp Advising Program (email@example.com) before their Committee Interview.
**Letter of Recommendation
Evaluations are important. They are personal statements about you as well as about your work. Think carefully about the evaluations you solicit. Medical and dental school admissions committees are interested in academic achievement, motivation, suitability for a medical/dental career, and those variables that make you an interesting person. Think of those aspects of your work and activities you wish presented and who might do that best.
Applicants should have four to six letters of evaluation. Committees generally prefer to hear from faculty members who have taught you in a class: two science professors and a professor from a non-science area. You may also wish to consider physicians/dentists with whom you’ve worked or shadowed, as well as coaches, employers, and volunteer and research supervisors.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their letter of recommendation writers submit their letters at least 48 hours in advance of their interview with the Health Professions Committee.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring that the list of schools is up-to-date and accurate.
- You may make changes to this list up to the time of your interview with the Health Professions Committee by contacting the MedOpp Advising Program.
- After the Committee Interview, your interviewers will write and transmit a Committee Letter. This process takes approximately 3 weeks.
- Committee Letters will not be sent until you have submitted your AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS/AADSAS application. AAMC Letter ID form is needed if applying to allopathic schools. Select “release to pre-health advisor” on the application.
Applications are due by 11:59 pm April 30, 2022.
Are you a medical school applicant?
Are you a dental school applicant?
- Students who have submitted required materials will be contacted by the MedOpp Advising Program to schedule a Committee Interview. Committee Interviews will be conducted from May 9 through August 5; we have a finite number interview slots, so they are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If you are not eligible for a Committee Interview, or if demand for interviews exceeds staff capacity, you may instead use our Letter Packet service, where we send your letters of recommendation with a cover letter to medical or dental school.
- If you decide that you do not want to apply to medical or dental school this cycle OR you would rather send a Letter Packet, you may withdraw your application for a Committee Interview by contacting MedOpp Advising Program.
If you have any further questions regarding this process, please contact MedOpp Advising Program at firstname.lastname@example.org