The Pre-Med Scholars Program is intended to provide participants with meaningful health care experiences and to strengthen their overall understanding of medicine. In conjunction with the MedOpp Advising Program, scholars will be provided with the resources necessary to improve their candidacy for medical school. We select approximately 25 students to participate annually. For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Pre-Med Scholars Program offers participants:
- Specialized workshops and informational meetings
- Mentorship with senior pre-med students and current medical students
- Opportunity for hospital volunteering
- Exposure to community service opportunities
- Assistance in setting up shadowing experiences
You are invited to apply for admission to the Pre-Med Scholars Program if you have an interest in medicine and meet the following requirements:
- High School Senior or Current Mizzou Freshman
- Preferred ACT of 28 composite score or SAT total score of 1310. Students who do not meet these scores will still be considered for the program.
- Preferred High School Transcript GPA of 3.50 Cumulative, Weighted or Unweighted. Students who do not meet this minimum GPA will still be considered for the program.
- Applicants are considered on a holistic basis, including academic rigor, strength of application and academic profile, especially if the other criteria listed above is not met.
A minimum of eight seats will be reserved for applicants who are members of a racial or ethnic minority group and/or a resident of an underdeveloped or rural community that is underrepresented in relation to the University’s goal to achieve educational benefits of a diverse student body.
The application link is below. Please be aware that you must finish the application in one sitting and click “submit” in order for it to be complete.
To facilitate completing your application, you will need the following information ready:
- Contact information, including your school and personal email addresses
- High school cumulative GPA
- College cumulative GPA (if applicable)
- 1-2 page Resume
- Two personal essays (500 word maximum each). Prompts:
- Why are you interested in pursuing medicine and what experiences have you had to confirm that medicine is the right choice for you?
- How can you add to the diversity of the Pre-Medical Scholars Program? For example, this can be membership in a racial minority or can be a unique skill or interest.
- The name of one recommender who will write a letter of support for your application.
Applications are due by March 1, 2021.
Letter of Recommendation
You must have one letter of recommendation in support of your application. The letter may be from a teacher, administrator, employer, physician, or other professional acquaintance. Your recommendation writer will send the letter to email@example.com.